REGISTERED parks and gardens in Surrey
Alphabetically listed below are the 40 gardens, parks and cemeteries of national significance in Surrey that appear in the Historic England Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest. There are approximately 1600 registered parks and gardens in the UK on the Register. These are graded Grade I, sites of exceptional interest, Grade II*, particularly important sites of more than special interest and Grade II, sites of special interest, warranting every effort to preserve them. A historic designed landscape on the Register is a 'designated heritage asset'. Research by Surrey Gardens Trust's researchers and recorders of the nationally important sites, Nonsuch, Ashtead, Gatton, Bagshot, Frimley and Farnham Parks and Sutton Place provided the necessary information for these to be included on the Register following the original compilation in the 1980s.
We have included a full list of the parks and gardens included on the Historic England heritage list**. Do not hesitate to get in touch with the Research and Recording Group if you would like any further information. We have also included links to useful sites relevant to each property. The symbols are defined above for ease of reference.
** The list below will be expanded over the coming weeks to complete the full list
A mid 17th century terrace, bath house and tunnel, surviving from a garden designed by John Evelyn, with mid 19th century exotic tree planting by Henry Drummond set within a park of 17th century origin.
Private: NGS opening
A 17th century park, developed during the 18th century and 19th century by successive owners.
Open access to northern part (Mole Valley District Council), southern part is City of London Freemen’s School
Bagshot Park, Windlesham
Mid Victorian gardens and pleasure grounds belonging to the Duke of Connaught, set in parkland reimparked in the late 17th century, and incorporating pleasure grounds of the early 19th century laid out for the Duchess of Gloucester.
BROOKWOOD CEMETERY, BROOKWOOD
The largest cemetery in England, founded in 1852 to house London’s dead, serviced by its own railway line and laid out and planted to J C Loudon's principles.
Regular Openings (Woking Borough Council)
Busbridge Lakes, Busbridge
A collection of mid 18th century follies set within a secluded steep-sided valley containing a chain of lakes. Original house demolished and present Edwardian house on site to the north.
Occasional openings of garden, house not open (site in a number of different ownerships)
Clandon Park, Guildford
Gardens and pleasure grounds within a landscaped park, circa 1776-81, by Lancelot Brown replacing the early 18th century formal gardens. Gardens further developed in the late 19th century, with advice by a Mr Nesfield, and in the late 20th century
National Trust (house and immediate grounds), rest in private ownership
Extensive and complex pleasure grounds and park around a country mansion. Main phases 18th century and early 19th century, with early 18th century work by Sir John Vanbrugh with Charles Bridgeman and possibly Stephen Switzer, and William Kent with Thomas Greening; mid 18th century work by Lancelot Brown; and early 19th century work by J W Hiort, J B Papworth, and A C Pugin. Claremont was highly influential in the English landscape movement during the 18th century.